Most people know what mold is, but they are not aware of the side effects and dangers related to the fungus. Mold is mostly found in damp areas and is prevalent in humid and older homes. Mold can sometimes go undetected for a while and this can be hazardous to the inhabitants in a home. Mold, especially black mold, thrives in places with moisture and damp building surfaces. It is possible for a home to have molds, but it can go undetected to anyone not familiar with mildew.
If members of your home have been suffering from illnesses that seem to be recurring, that could be an indication of mold in your home. We will list underlying causes and symptoms of black mold to help you keep safe from mold exposure.
Symptoms of mold exposure
Not everyone gets affected by mold exposure. The symptoms of mold vary depending on the duration of exposure and sensitivity of an individual. You can prevent mold in your office or home by regular maintenance and cleaning. If you already have mold in your home, you should hire proffesionals in black mold removal in Los Angeles.
Mold symptoms range from mild to severe. The severity of symptoms depends on an individual’s respiratory sensitivity and immune system. The following are symptoms that will indicate if you have mold in your home:
Mold produces mycotoxins that spread in the air and can be inhaled. When a person gets exposed to mold for a long time, the upper respiratory tract gets affected causing coughs. Other symptoms associated with upper respiratory tract symptoms and dampness include bronchitis and wheezing. Black mold is one of the most dangerous types of mold. If black mold spores get colonized inside the lungs, it can lead to sever lung infection.
Dampness that encourages mold growth can cause nausea in children and sensitive adults. Fungal spores produced by mold often have a foul smell and can lead to fatigue and nausea when inhaled. Nausea is mostly attributed to the bad smell rather than toxic mechanisms.
Mold sinus infections
Poorly ventilated areas promote the growth of mold causing the release of toxic spores in the air. Toxic spores produce mycotoxin which can be inhaled and cause poisoning through the nose. When adults with respiratory allergies and children inhale a large amount of airbone spores, they are more prone to sinus infections than healthy adults. If the mold problem is not addressed on time, the symptoms can get worse leading to chronic sinusitis.
Rashes from mold
People susceptible to rashes and dryness can get eczema outbreaks when exposed to mold, especially black mold. According to research, bad rash outbreaks are associated with long exposure to black mold. In worse case scenarios, a patient with rashes from mold may require medical intervention.
Fever from mold
As mentioned earlier, mold releases mycotoxins which gets absorbed in the body and eventually gets processed by the liver. Toxins in the liver triggers both fever and nausea.
Allergies from mold
The most common side effect of mold exposure is allergies. Atopic and allergenic symptoms of sinusitis are linked to inhalation of spores from mold. Allergy symptoms associated with mold is much worse in children compared to adults. Children with asthma get worse when exposed to damp environments which boost the growth of mold.
What happens when one is exposed to mold for a prolonged period of time?
Asthma, coughing, sneezing and impaired breathing symptoms may increase sensitivity in people who are exposed to mold for a prolonged period of time. Mold cannot be associated with causing asthma however, exposure to mold spores can worsen asthma symptoms.
The best way to prevent and treat mold symptom is to get mold inspection experts to check your home for mold and remove it if present. The cost of protecting and your home from mold growth is minimal compared to how much you may end up spending in medical bills if your family gets exposed to mold.